From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] crontab not executing
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:07:28
1 On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:39:00 +1000, Adam Carter wrote:
2
3 > >> /bin/sh is a symlink to bash.
4 > >
5 > > Which runs as sh when run from the symlink.
6 >
7 > I dont understand. "runs as" usually means "runs under the user
8
9 That's one possible use of the term, but English rarely has one meaning
10 per phrase.
11
12 > context" to me - are you saying bash has an sh compatibility mode?
13
14 Yes.
15
16 "If bash is invoked with the name sh, it tries to mimic the startup
17 behavior of historical versions of sh as closely as possible, while
18 conforming to the POSIX standard as well."
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?