From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WiFi access point with iwl3945
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 00:17:31
1 On 7 Nov 2009, at 05:21, Mike Mazur wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I'm trying to set up my laptop to be a wireless access point. It has
4 > an iwl3945 card. I followed the "Atheros Ath5k Wireless Access Point"
5 > article on gentoo-wiki.com[1] before realizing that it was Atheros
6 > specific.
7
8 Gentoo-wiki is a mess. :(
9
10 If only the people who wrote their separate articles about building
11 APs with madwifi [1] and ath5k [2] had thought to improve and
12 contribute to the pre-existing "wireless access point" article:
13
14 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wireless/Access_point
15
16 That explains very clearly (as has Florian) that the hardware needs to
17 support "master mode" and also why. The explanation of setting up the
18 iptables / bridging / dhcpd / &c should not need to be repeated on
19 multiple pages.
20
21 I started that page originally, but this was perhaps as much as 5
22 years ago. At that time it documented how to produce a basic
23 installation with simple explanations in order to make it "easy" for
24 someone who was even just a little command-line literate. It has
25 actually changed remarkably little in some respects, but I doubt it is
26 any longer consistent or fully accurate. It actually claims that the
27 ipw3945 does do master mode - I assume this is a different driver for
28 your card? - but Googling leaves me dubious; I see the claim repeated
29 other places without the poster actually appearing to succeed.
30
31 Stroller.
37 [1] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Madwifi_Wireless_Access_Point
38 [2] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Atheros_Ath5k_Wireless_Access_Point