From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Be careful when using dhcp with a LiveCD
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:28:39
1 On Thursday 06 December 2007, Grant wrote:
2 > I just spent a few hours trying to fix a problem where my Gentoo
3 > router would only dhcp the ip address of the cable modem instead of
4 > the proper IP address from the WAN. I ended up enabling USE=vram and
5 > it worked again.
6 >
7 > # equery uses dhcpcd
8 > + + vram : Disable DUID due to volatile media, such as a LiveCD
9 >
10 > I had just previously booted to a Damn Small Linux LiveCD when the
11 > trouble started so I'm thinking the CD tried to dhcp from my cable
12 > internet provider without a DUID which caused the provider to change
13 > something which means that I need to disable the DUID from now on?
14 > It's confusing but that's the best I can come up with.
15 >
16 > The point is: be careful when using dhcp from a LiveCD. Your system
17 > might act differently the next time you boot the hard drive.
18
19 The dhcpcd was changed recently and not all dhcp servers take kindly to it,
20 when it uses DUID the way it does (some servers depend on DUID passing on to
21 them the MAC of the client). The solution I also found was to set the vram
22 flag.
23 --
24 Regards,
25 Mick