From: Frank Gruellich <frank@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] memtest86+ taking too long
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:05:29
1 * de Almeida, Valmor F. <dealmeidav@××××.gov> 19. Nov 07:
2 > >>From: Mark Shields [mailto:laebshade@×××××.com]
3 > >On Nov 19, 2007 12:03 PM, de Almeida, Valmor F. <dealmeidav@××××.gov> wrote:
4 >
5 > >Is this execution time expected?
6
7 Yes, I can confirm that. In addition you should run it more than one
8 time...
9
10 > In fact I don't have a clue when it is going to end.
11
12 It will never end. If it finished all tests it will start over again.
13
14 > There are 2 fields with varying percentage values; but they get
15 > cleared from time to time. Another field is called "Test" and it was
16 > #3 (I think), and now it is at #4. So far it has taken 20:35h. On the
17 > upside, no errors detected.
18
19 In the table below you have a field "Pass", probably 0 right now. This
20 will increment after the first turn. In upper area you have another
21 "Pass" and a progress bar right of it. That's the progress of the
22 current pass. One pass involves several tests (configurable by pressing
23 c). (Disclaimer: everything from my mind.)
24
25 To be sure make at least a second run, because some memory faults will
26 only manifest after hardware is heated. The more passes the better.
27 Last words: if memtest86+ doesn't find any errors, even not after days,
28 you still can't be totally sure that your memory is okay. But if it
29 finds a damaged address there is for sure a problem with hardware.
30 Second last words: if it finds a problem there can be other broken parts
31 beside memory. Basically everything involved on the path from memory to
32 CPU: memory, Northbridge, memory controller, CPU...
33
34 HTH, kind regards,
35 Frank.
36 --