From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ppp-2.4.3-r10.ebuild
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:20:20
1 On 12 January 2006 13:39, Charles Trois wrote:
2 > It's not easy to install things in Gentoo without Internet access,
3 > especially when it's about installing the Internet connexion itself.
4 >
5 > My ISP uses PPPoA, and I have a Speedtouch USB modem, the installation
6 > of which requires ppp-2.4.3. This is not provided by the distfiles, so I
7 > used a tarball downloaded under MacOS, which I installed in the ordinary
8 > way (which is not the Gentoo way). The Speedtouch pages say that one should
9 >
10 > (1) write PEER="speedtch" in /etc/conf.d/net.ppp0 (speedtch is the
11 > name of the modem config file)
12 >
13 > (2) run "rc-update add net.ppp0 default" in order that ppp0 start at
14 > boot.
15 >
16 > Thus installed, the thing works, but only up to a point, in that
17 >
18 > (3) I have to run "pppd call speedtch" to start ppp, and
19
20 Maybe that PEER line in /etc/conf.d/net.ppp0 has to contain the full path.
23 > (4) I must change the default route from eth0 to ppp0 to make the
24 > name resolution work.
25
26 If there is already a default route pppd cannot change it. There should be a
27 message about it in your log files. Do you really need a default route when
28 not connected? Probably not. In that case just don't define it
29 in /etc/conf.d/net. Pppd should then be able to create a default route. If
30 you do need it when not connected add two lines to /etc/ppp/ip-up that delete
31 the old default route and create a new one. Of course, you then also need two
32 new lines in /etc/ppp/ip-down that change it back.
33
34 Uwe
37 Unix is sexy:
38 who | grep -i blonde | date