From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 11:09:39
1 On 5 Sep 2010, at 23:04, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > ...
3 > With square pixels 16x9 is 1920x1080 (so called full HD is 1080p).
4 > This
5 > is my laptop's display.
6 >
7 > My big (30") monitor is 16x10 (2560x1600) and is a joy to use. I
8 > prefer
9 > the current wide aspect ratio better then the previous 4x3 standard.
12 That kind of resolution is starting to sound appealing, however from
13 what I can tell, you're looking to pay 2 or 3 times the price [1] for
14 a monitor of this specification, as you will for a set of three
15 1600x1200 TFTs. That makes it extremely hard to justify for me.
16
17 I'll certainly admit that dual-head is not perfect, but I can't help
18 thinking that maybe a central display with two "aides", one at each
19 side, might solve the "central bezel problem".
20
21 I'm having a lot of difficulty visualising how big high-quality
22 widescreen monitors might compare to my good 4:3s, because I don't get
23 to see them. Certainly the widescreens at the low-end of the market
24 are much inferior, and a good 4:3 is not much more expensive than those.
25
26 Stroller.
32 [1] Please don't flame me if your maths on monitor pricing differs
33 from mine; I didn't want to spend hours comparison shopping products
34 I'm unlikely to buy right now.