From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: /boot or not /boot (was Re: [gentoo-user] can't stop the panic on eeepc)
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 12:46:46
1 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 9. Mai 2009 12:20:46 schrieb Stroller:
5 >>> This is Gentoo, so you as the user define the rules. And for _me_,
6 >>> it definitely
7 >>> _is_ a rule.
8 >>>
9 >> Could you possibly explain why, please?
12 > Because it eliminates the need for an initramfs (which I used until a few
13 > weeks ago), even if you've got your / on an encrypted logical volume. I simply
14 > put just enough userspace tools into /boot to be able to create the dmcrypt
15 > mapping and mount the real root fs, then run pivot_root and /sbin/init.
16 >
17 > So in the end it's the same than using an initramfs, but with less hassle. And
18 > for consistency reasons, I also use this scheme on every machine.
19 >
20 > Bye...
21 >
22 > Dirk
25 Wasn't there a security reason for this setup at one time? If you put
26 /boot on a separate partition, then the only time it needed to be
27 mounted was to update the kernel or edit grub/lilo. That was what I was
28 reading when I installed Gentoo oh so many ages ago.
29
30 Is this still true?
31
32 Dale