From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Assistance if possible
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:06:04
1 On 03/18/12 09:32, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Colleen Beamer writes:
3 >
4 >> Yes, I have activity manager in world, but I've unmasked all kde
5 >> packages for version 4.8.1 and because of that, I can't get
6 >> activitymanager installed because the latest verion for that is only
7 >> 4.7.4 and I get told kactivities-4.8.1 blocks activitymanager.. I can
8 >> get into KDE after my upgrade, but I can't move windows around, nor
9 >> close or resize them. So I assume activitymanager is somehow needed.
10 >
11 > Anyway, moving windows around is KWin's responsibility, and has nothing
12 > to do with activities, they are more about switching sessions on the fly.
13 > I'd rename my ~/.kde4 directory and try again, maybe you have some
14 > corrupted config. Or try as another user. Does the problem persist?
15 >
16 > Wonko
19 Thanks! Problems solved. I may have been using Gentoo for a while, but
20 every once in a while, I have a learning curve. To explain: Yesterday,
21 when I tried to update world, I got a bunch of messages because
22 kde-4.7.4 packages were installed and some upgrades wanted changes to
23 USE flags. I resolved the problem by unmerging and installing the
24 masked packages for kde-4.8.1.
25
26 Allan McKinnon was right in that I told emerge to bring in activity
27 manager - despite the fact that I had unmerged version 4.7.4, I thought
28 I needed it so had it in my package.keywords file. When I couldn't move
29 windows around, I had an "epiphany" and realized that there must be
30 other kde-base packages that needed to be upgraded to 4.8.1 because I
31 had installed kdebase-meta when I was installing Linux on this computer
32 back last summer when it was new. Anyway, I did the upgrades necessary
33 for kdebase-meta and now everything is back to normal.
34
35 So, thanks again, everyone that responded.
36
37 Regards,
38
39 Colleen