From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage no longer in world?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:40:45
1 On Sun 31 July 2011 12:08:01 Peter Humphrey did opine thusly:
2 > On Sunday 31 July 2011 09:54:07 Albert Hopkins wrote:
3 > > Or perhaps I'm just not understanding the problem.
4 >
5 > He's asking why upgrading world or system doesn't include upgrading
6 > portage.
7 >
8 > "Or perhaps I'm just not understanding the problem." :-)
9
10 It's sensible really - portage is not the only package manager out
11 there and therefore should not be in @system. The user did not put
12 portage in world, and did not use -D, so portage is not updating the
13 package.
14
15 The solution is simple - all users should put their preferred package
16 manager into world and what Stroller is seeing will stop happening.
17
18 Zac can't force portage into system like he could with less and nano
19 and have few or non side-effects. A virtual package manager only says
20 that you *have* one, not *which* one. So as usual for Gentoo, the user
21 gets to tell the software which one it is.
22
23 I don't see a problem.
24
25