From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 21:22:56
1 On Monday 09 August 2010 21:25:37 Dale wrote:
2 > Robert Bridge wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Mick<michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> There have been discussions on this list why sudo is a bad idea and sudo
5 > >> on *any* command is an even worse idea. You might as well be running
6 > >> everything as root, right?
7 > >
8 > > sudo normally logs the command executed, and the account which
9 > > executes it, so while not relevant for single user systems, it STILL
10 > > has benefits over running as root.
11 > >
12 > > RobbieAB
13 >
14 > I don't use sudo here but I assume a admin would only know that a nasty
15 > command has been ran well after it was ran? Basically, after the damage
16 > has been done, you can go look at the logs and see the mess some hacker
17 > left behind. For me, that isn't a whole lot of help. You still got
18 > hacked, you still got to reinstall and check to make sure anything you
19 > copy over is not infected.
20 >
21 > Assuming that they can erase dmesg, /var/log/messages and other log
22 > files, whose to say the sudo logs aren't deleted too? Then you still
23 > have no records to look at.
24 >
25 > I agree with the other posters tho, re-install from scratch and re-think
26 > your security setup.
27
28 That's the problem with any compromise worth its salt, all logs will be
29 tampered to clear traces of interfering with your system. Monitoring network
30 traffic from a healthy machine is a good way to establish suspicious activity
31 on the compromised box and it also helps checking for open ports (nmap, or
32 netcat) to find out what's happening to the compromised box.
35 Regards,
36 Mick