From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Demise of Truecrypt - surprised I haven't seen t his discussed here yet?
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 19:05:57
1 On Tuesday, June 03, 2014 09:53:58 PM Matti Nykyri wrote:
2 > On Jun 2, 2014, at 18:29, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > I actually meant the software side:
4 > > - How to wipe the keys and then wipe the whole memory.
5 >
6 > The dm-crypt module inside kernel provides a crypt_wipe_key function that
7 > wipes the memory portion that holds the key. It also invalidates the key,
8 > so that no further writes to the drive can occur. Suspending the device
9 > prior is recommended:
10 >
11 > dmsetup suspend /dev/to-device
12 > dmsetup message /dev/to-device 0 key wipe
13
14 Thank you for this, wasn't aware of those yet.
15 Does this also work with LUKS encrypted devices?
16
17 > When you boot into your kernel you can setup a crash kernel inside your
18 > memory. The running kernel will not touch this area so you can be certain
19 > that there is no confidential data inside. Then you just wipe the area of
20 > the memory of the original kernel after you have executed your crash
21 > kernel.
22 >
23 > So I do this by opening /dev/mem in the crash kernel and then mmap every
24 > page you need to wipe. I use the memset to wipe the page. Begin from
25 > physical address where your original kernel is located and walk the way up.
26 > Skip the portion where you crash kernel is! Crash kernel location is in
27 > your kernel cmdline and the location of the original kernel in your kernel
28 > config.
29
30 Hmm.. this goes beyond me. Will need to google on this to see if I can find
31 some more. Unless you know a good starting URL?
32
33 > > I would keep the system controlling all that off the internet with only a
34 > > null-modem cable to an internet-connected server using a custom protocol.
35 > >
36 > > Anything that doesn't match the protocol initiates a full lock-down of the
37 > > house. ;)
38 >
39 > But it is much more convenient to control everything from you phone via
40 > internet. Just have everything setup in a secure manner. Anyways it's
41 > easier for a common burglar to break the window then to hack the server!
42 > And you can not steal the stereos by hacking the server ;)
43
44 Perhaps, but I would have added security shutters to all the windows and doors
45 which are also controlled by the same system. Smashing a window wouldn't help
46 there.
47 Especially if the only way to open those is by getting the server (which by
48 then went into a full lock-down) to open them...
49 Now only to add a halo fire suppression system to the server room and all you
50 need to do is find a way to dispose of the mess.... ;)
53 Joost