From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:30:16
1 On 17 Dec 2009, at 13:40, Marcus Wanner wrote:
2 > On 12/17/2009 6:42 AM, Mick wrote:
3 >> On Thursday 17 December 2009 05:13:32 Joshua Murphy wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> chicane ~ # shred test/
6 >>> shred: test/: failed to open for writing: Is a directory
7 >>> chicane ~ # shred -v -n 25 -z -u ~/test/
8 >>> shred: /root/test/: failed to open for writing: Is a directory
9 >>>
10 >> shred ... shreds files. Therefore you may need to point it to the
11 >> files in
12 >> question for it to work. I suspect that if you point it to a
13 >> device alone it
14 >> just shreds the file representing the device on the Linux fs in
15 >> question.
16 >>
17 > That would be a bit inconvenient...I still vote for dd, overwriting
18 > the thing 26 times sounds like WAY overkill for a hdd...
19
20 The US military specification is to overwrite randomly 3 times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_erasure
21 I think the `shred` on the current System Rescue CD defaults to this.
22
23 The advice to overwrite 26-35 times is, I think, based on Peter
24 Gutmann's 1996 advice, which is now quite dated and is widely
25 considered no longer relevant. Fair play to Gutmann: there aren't many
26 studies on secure data removal made publicly available, so it was the
27 best knowledge we had at the time. It may be accurate to the kind of
28 drives available then, but not to those available now.
29
30 Why not use dd? Grant says that his data "isn't too sensitive", so it
31 doesn't really matter. But it's no more difficult to run shred than it
32 is to run `dd` - it's about the same amount of typing. You might as
33 well "do things properly" (also known as "following best practices"),
34 even if you don't think you need to. 3 writes really doesn't take that
35 long.
36
37 Stroller.