From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 01:05:38
1 On 15/03/13 08:31, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
2 > On 14/03/13 23:52, Dale wrote:
3 >> Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
4 >>> On 14/03/13 22:41, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Grant Edwards wrote:
6 >>>>> On 2013-03-14, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> ...
9
10 >>>>> RedHat maintainers aren't stupid (you can probably tell I've never
11 >>>>> used RH) – they will release packages optimized for architectures
12 >>>>> they will run on. Overall you might get very slight performance
13 >>>>> boost because of some CFLAG you enable but you might as well have
14 >>>>> worse performance because you don't know as much about
15 >>>>> optimizations as the RH maintainers and developers. Bah, you can
16 >>>>> even find examples on Gentoo wiki where compiling certain packages
17 >>>>> with certain flags actually makes them slower and not faster where
18 >>>>> usually the opposite is the case.
19 Further, when we did the tests I mentioned before (exactly what Dale was
20 asking about in fact) - we had 3 identical machines for testing in
21 parallel ... Celerons at the time. While setting up, it became clear
22 that while gentoo was working well on my P4 laptop, cloning it onto the
23 celeron gave performance worse than a default i386 debian. So after a
24 bit of swatting on compiler flags I tuned it closer to the architecture,
25 did an overnight rebuild and we went from there ... and it could only
26 "shade" i386 default debian about 10% ... mostly.
27
28 1. The upshot is that I consider its actually easier to shoot yourself
29 in the foot performance wise if you get it wrong than it is to get it right.
30
31 2. Tuning for a particular load/job *WILL* make the machine more
32 unsuitable to other load/job profiles.
33
34 3. On the same hardware, any distro can/should be made to perform
35 identically if tuned by someone in the know (or made worse)
36
37 4. Gentoo is easier to tune (make better ... or worse :)
38
39 BillK