From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] How to do GRUB2 multiple partions on USB key?
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 05:44:35
1 I've been using LILO for over 15 years, but I'm a total newbie at
2 GRUB2, so the following may be totally out to lunch. Would the following
3 setup work for a USB key with multiple partitions with a different OS or
4 variant in each partition?
5
6 GRUB2 in MBR
7 * extended partition 1 covers entire USB key
8 * logical partition 5, ext2fs, 1 megabyte, containing directory /boot/grub
9 containing file menu.lst
10 * logical partition 6, ext2fs, containing an OS
11 * logical partition 7, ext2fs, containing an OS
12 * etc, etc
13
14 Assuming that the key shows up as /dev/sdb, would the entries in
15 menu.lst for partions 6 and 7 be (hd1,5) and (hd1,6), respectively? And
16 what would be the command to install GRUB2 to the MBR of the USB key?
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
20 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications