From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Disk going a lot slower now...
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:58:03
1 Ken Gypen wrote:
2 >
3 >> I would assume that the two benchmark programs I am using to measure the
4 >> drive performance under windows go through windows, and thus the NTFS
5 >> interface. They are Dr. Hardware and FreshDiagnose. The second one
6 >> showed a write speed as quoted above, and a read speed of about 280 MB
7 >> per second... Though the same one reported a read speed of about 900+
8 >> MB per second for my USB drive (not really possible, since the maximum
9 >> speed for USB 2.0 is about 480 MB / second).
10 > Hi Chris,
11 >
12 > A more realistic speed for a HD is about 60-90MB/second... It's hardware
13 > limited. So your values are quite off, regardless of the OS and the
14 > filesystem.
18 Yeah - when doing this sort of thing ensure you are using files at least
19 2x(size of RAM) - otherwise you can end up just measuring memory access
20 speed.
21
22 Cheers
23