From: Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild problem
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 22:39:56
1 Hi,
2 I'm using Gentoo for a couple of years and am quite amazed how good it
3 works. So thanks to all involved in its develpoment.
4
5 However, after today's update, when I run revdep-rebuild, I get the
6 message
7
8 * Checking dynamic linking consistency
9 * broken /usr/lib64/libogrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
10 * broken /usr/lib64/libospgrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
11 * broken /usr/lib64/libostyle.la (requires -lstdc++)
12
13 I would expect that revdep-rebuild re-builds the broken libraries, but
14 instead it only re-builds app-text/openjade.
15
16 Hence I can run revdep-rebuild again and again ad nauseam without any
17 effect.
18
19 Another, quite unrelated question: Whenever I run
20
21 emerge --update --pretend
22
23 I'm warned in advance if a portage update is available. It seems that
24 emerge is able to warn about critical updates.
25
26 On the other hand it happpened several times that *after* an update
27 I've been told that my system is completely broken and will not
28 re-boot unless I compile a new kernel. It would be nice if I can be
29 warned *before* I run emerge without the --pretend option. Then I
30 could postpone the update to the next weekend, when I have more time.
31
32 My propsal is to add a warning similar to that I get when portage
33 updates are available, so that users know in advance that a particular
34 update will break the system.
35
36 Of course, this mailing list is not the proper place for such
37 suggestions. Can anybody tell me whom I should ask?
38
39 Regards,
40 Reinhard
44 Reinhard Kotucha Phone: +49-511-3373112
45 Marschnerstr. 25
46 D-30167 Hannover mailto:reinhard.kotucha@×××.de
48 Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.