From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa: missing default device
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 21:03:54
1 On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 10:32:55PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > > > > * I toggled those settings and rebuilt, but the result is still the same.
4 > > >
5 > > > You may have to configure your sound card setup manually. It's not as
6 > > > scarey as it sounds. First question; what's the output of the command...
7 > > >
8 > > > cat /proc/asound/cards
9 > >
10 > > Here you go, plus the contents of a few others and the tree of that dir.
11 >
12 > First an elementary question. Please don't treat this as an insult.
13
14 I won't, you can't know everyone and I am not *that* regular a participant
15 in the list. However, I've been a Gentoo guy for 8 years now and I should
16 know the basics by now ;-) (although I had my share of cases of negligence).
17
18 > Do you have the "alsasound" service running?
19
20 It has been in the default runlevel for a number of days now. The service is
21 also running right now.
22
23 > If that doesn't work for you, "Plan B" is to create a .asoundrc file
24 > in your home directory. It will over-ride /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf and
25 > you won't need root permissions to edit it. If you want the PCH
26 > (analog?) to be the default, enter the following 3 lines in ~/.asoundrc
27 >
28 > defaults.ctl.card 0
29 > defaults.pcm.card 0
30 > defaults.pcm.device 0
31
32 *That* is what I was looking for. My intertubes search also guided me to
33 .asoundrc, but I had something different in it:
34 pcm.!default {
35 slave.pcm "pch:1,0"
36 }
37 Which didn't work.
40 When I edited .asoundrc as you suggested and it worked right away, I was
41 baffled. So I reverted the change and checked again -- still working.
42 Somehow, like other issues I had in the past, it “solved itself”, because
43 now aplay -L does give me a "default" device.
44
45 Yesterday, when I tried your kernel settings, rebuilt and rebooted, it did
46 not help. Unfortunately I didn't keep my old kernel config; I was unable to
47 reproduce my problem by reverting my config from memory. So this is another
48 one for the big book of mysteries, never to be remembered again. :-/
49
50 Thanks for your time.
51 --
52 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
53 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
54
55 It’s quiet in the shadow, because you can’t hear the light.