From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system can not find kernel, "hda3" or unknown block (0,0)
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 05:44:00
1 On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:00 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/05/14 20:34, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On 02/06/14 01:12, Neil Bothwick wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>
9 >>>> On 6 February 2014 00:23:42 GMT+00:00, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
10 >>>> wrote:
11 >>>>
12 >>>> I'm trying to figure it out what happened during my process of switching
13 >>>> to syst
14 >>>> emd and I'm lost
15 >>>> When I try to boot I get:
16 >>>> "hda3" or unknown block (0,0)
17 >>>> In grub.conf I have:
18 >>>> root (hd0,0)
19 >>>> kernel /kernel-current root=/dev/hda3
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Are you sure it should be hda3 and not sda3?
22 >>>> --
23 >>>> Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >>> Yes, that is correct. This is a old box and in fstab all line have
28 >>> "hda..."
31 >> CONFIG_IDE is deprecated in the kernel and systemd/udev requires it to
32 >> be unset. It's possible that you disabled it, and then you now have
33 >> sda instead of had?
34 >>
35 >> Regards.
36 >> --
37 >> Canek Peláez Valdés
38 >> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
39 >> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
42 > Partial success.
43 > I copied an old kernel config file from /boot "make oldconig" enable
44 > "systemd" in the kernel
45 > put the grub.conf "... init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd"
46 > and it booted OK but I have no X display, no network :-/
47 > so I'm working on it.
48
49 That could be easily explained by the fact that you're using an old
50 kernel config.
51
52 > I'm not very impress with the transition. I added to make.conf. USE="...
53 > systemd" and emerge -uDNavq world (from bootstrap CD).
54
55 Well, I think part of the problem is that something pulled in systemd
56 in your machine, and you just thought that emerging systemd was the
57 only thing necessary to run systemd. It's not; while it's certainly
58 easier than two or three years ago, it's not automatic: you need to
59 take some steps before doing the transition. Again, please read:
60
61 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd
62
63 Regards.