From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 23:15:27
1 On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:26:43 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
2
3 > >> You have just touched on an annoyance of unmerge, in that it does not
4 > >> clean up configuration files that have been modified. It removes
5 > >> files that are still in the same state as when the package was
6 > >> emerged, but not those modified by the user. I don't see how user
7 > >> changes make the file more important than would be in its vanilla
8 > >> state.
9 > >
10 > >It doesn't remove *any* files that have been modified,
11 >
12 > Erm ... that's what I wrote, above.
13
14 No it's not. You were referring to a special case of the general
15 statement I made.
16
17 > [That is, of course, predicated on
18 > the assumption that installing Package A will not modify configuration
19 > files owned by Package B, and vice-versa: all post-installation
20 > modifications are performed by the user.]
21
22 That is valid, provide collision-protect is included in FEATURES.
25 > >the reasons
26 > >systems used to get cluttered with orphaned .la files. The logic is
27 > >quite simple, if it is not the file portage installed with the
28 > >package, it should not be uninstalled with the package.
29 >
30 > Why should that be so?
31
32 It's quite simple logic, whether or not you agree with it. If a file is
33 modified, it is no longer the file portage installed, so portage does not
34 uninstall it. If anything, the problem is that the logic used by portage
35 is too simple.
36
37 > To repeat myself: I do not see a customized configuration file as being
38 > any more important than a vanilla one.
39
40 A customised file contains an investment of the user's time, a generic
41 file does not. That investment may be small or great, but it is not
42 for portage to determine that value and remove the file without the
43 user's consent.
44
45 > I should be clear here: a reinstall means "from new, with no previous
46 > version currently installed" and is quite distinct from an upgrade or
47 > rebuild.
48
49 Not as distinct as you may think. Portage updates a package by first
50 installing the new version then unmerging the old one. As it uses
51 checksums and timestamps to determine ownership of a file, this is safe
52 as it will not remove files from the new version that overwrote
53 identically-named files from the old package.
54
55 > >There are
56 > >times when some sort of --force-remove option to remove both these and
57 > >files in CONFIG_PROTECTed directories would be useful.
58 >
59 > Again, what I wrote.
60 >
61 > I think we largely agree on this issue.
62
63 We agree on the usefulness of a purge-like option but not on the
64 desirability or otherwise of the current default behaviour
68 Neil Bothwick
69
70 A friend in need may turn out to be a nuisance.