From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting a Kernel-2.4 with glibc-2.9?
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:27:26
1 On Wednesday 08 July 2009 17:13:16 daid kahl wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I'm working on upgrading a very old Gentoo system for my work.
5 >
6 > Some software is only running well in 2.4.x kernels, and when doing other
7 > updates I inadvertently updated past glibc-2.3.5, and so now the 2.4 kernel
8 > does not boot (Fatal error, kernel too old). Fortunately there is a 2.6
9 > kernel on the system so I can still boot. I should have been operating on
10 > a no-nptl profile.
11 >
12 > Although I stopped the upgrade not longer after upgrading glibc, attempting
13 > to downgrading glibc is just about the worst thing I could do. But I don't
14 > really know what other options there are, and I've been Googling for hours
15 > and hours and no solutions.
16 >
17 > Is there any known workaround for booting a 2.4 kernel on a system with
18 > glibc-2.9 installed? I thought perhaps if there is a way to re-install
19 > glibc without nptl (assuming linuxthreads are still around in glibc-2.9)
20 > then it might work, but not sure how to do that.
21 >
22 > I'm very sad right now.
23
24 In the time it takes you to sort that mess out (including doing the necessary
25 research), I reckon you could do the following:
26
27 1. Backup all user data, configs and critical files
28 2. Download a recent stage that suits your needs
29 3. Rebuild world plus add all the extra packages you use
30
31 and do the whole lot three times.
32
33 If you want a working system, this is the route of least resistance.
34 If you want a learning experience more than a working box, attempt to fix it.
35 To downgrade glibc, search the ebuild for the word "destruction" and comment
36 out the lines providing the no-downgrade safeguard. However, this is indeed a
37 sure path to destruction and you will likely rebuild world several times over
38 to sort it out. [Now you know where the stats in the first part of this mail
39 come from :-)]
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com