From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Integrated ZFS for Gentoo - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 11:33:01
1 On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2013-08-31 7:04 AM, Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Everything is dynamic, you would however put a lot of effort into the linux
6 >> kernel to get to that state...e.g. automated major device numbering.
9 > ??? I've been running my servers without modules since... I started running servers.
10 >
11 > Servers are not like desktops - constantly changing devices. They - in most cases - *are* static, and most people *want* them that way.
12 >
13 > Regardless, please do *not* distract this thread with arguments about it. If you don't want or see the benefit, fine, just ignore this thread.
16 I do not understand this thread.
17
18 If this is not mainline, and it is not trivial gentoo kernels
19 maintainer patch, and you must have this as static, you can just put
20 the patch within /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/, so
21 it will patch your kernel every time you emerge new one.
22
23 Regards,
24 Alon