From: "Claudio Roberto França Pereira" <spideybr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To swap or not to swap? Is it really needed?
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 23:14:09
1 Sorry for being so general, for not giving any real info. I'm new to
2 system monitoring, I just learnt about iostat and swapon -s, now about
3 vmstat. I mainly tried to catch anything unusual in top/htop.
4
5 Trying to be more specifically, my system is a core 2 duo, dual core
6 3ghz processor, 4gb of ram (now 2gb), ATI radeon HD4850 with 512mb of
7 vram. I used to play a lot on this box, now a lot less. On Gentoo,
8 when I play is some browser game or cowsay (it's in games-misc!), not
9 anything relevant. I'm using radeon open source drivers, by the way.
10 My main use, currently, is web surfing, firefox with LOTS of tabs,
11 email, social networks and random browsing. Firefox alone uses lots of
12 ram, almost always it's using more than a half GB, sometimes it passes
13 the 1gb mark. I also do Qt develop on this, but nothing heavy. No
14 virtual machines, no 3d rendering, no heavy processing, no
15 hibernation.
16
17 So, I'm just a basic common web surfer. In this case, can I say it's
18 at least SAFE to disable swap? I'll look into "last month's" thread on
19 this.