From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Exact setting in grub to default to a kernel by name?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 18:05:47
1 On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 09:33:57 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 06:46:15AM +0200, Hund wrote
4 > > >Let me rephrase the question more generally... given a
5 > > >kernel "/boot/vmlinuz-fubar" how and where do I specify it by name as
6 > > >the default boot kernel?
7 > >
8 > > What about this?
9 > >
10 > > https://www.stephenrlang.com/2017/06/setting-default-kernel-in-grub2/
13 > Is /boot/grub/grub.cfg the file that actually controls bootup, and is
14 > all 154 lines of verbosity really necessary? For menu entries I see...
15
16 Not necessary, but does no harm either. The first 90% of the file is
17 automated setup, which you can replace with hard coded entries or just
18 leave it to its own devices. The only part you need to think about is the
19 menuentry sections.
20
21 > I'd be tempted to do a manual gub.cfg if I had documentation.
22
23 GRUB has extensive documentation. it's not the best written but every
24 configuration option is described.
25
26 Isn't this a new laptop? If so, why torment yourself with GRUB when you
27 have UEFI available to you? The only real justification for using GRUB in
28 such a situation is that you are completely familiar with it and don't
29 want to learn something else. But if you have to learn something, you may
30 as well learn the 2/3 line configs of systemd-boot.
31
32 Note that systemd-boot doesn't require systemd, it's just the gummiboot
33 boot manager that was merged into systemd taken out again. Or you could
34 use rEFInd if you prefer a prettier boot menu.
39 Neil Bothwick
40
41 Mouse: (n.) an input device used by management to force computer users to
42 keep at least a part of their desks clean.