From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about to give up on systemd and gnome
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 09:26:35
1 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 24 May 2014 15:29:34 -0400
4 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >
6 > > OK, here is what is happening -- if I do a startx & in any console
7 > > where I am logged in, I get a gnome session on that tty (wish it was
8 > > on the unused one), and I seem to be good to go. However when I try
9 > > to use gdm, I no longer get the oh no stuff, but it seems I get a
10 > > list of some of my userids, but I can't do anything, I can up arrow
11 > > to one of them, but hitting enter does nothing. Also, tab does
12 > > nothing, nor do left/right arrow keys and strangely enough, my name
13 > > is not among the listed ids.
14 > >
15 > > Here is a log segment from start to stop of gdm.
16 > >
17 > > https://covici.com/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=3bae607fe4d5043b325b6339e3672c84
18 > >
19 > > I hope someone can make sense of this because after this happened my
20 > > regular ttys won't scroll once they get to the last line and the only
21 > > way to solve this problem is to reboot the system.
22 >
23 > This might be PAM related:
24 >
25 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: initializing PAM;
26 > service=gdm-password username=krnotley seat=seat0
27 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: Set PAM environment
28 > variable: 'XDG_SEAT=seat0'
29 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: 1 new messages
30 > received from PAM
31 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: received pam message
32 > of type 1 with payload 'Password: '
33 > gdm-password][4972]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): conversation
34 > failed
35 > gdm-password][4972]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): auth could
36 > not identify password for [krnotley]
37 > gdm-password][4972]: gkr-pam: no password is available for user
38 > gdm-password][4972]: gkr-pam: no password is available for user
39 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: PAM conversation
40 > returning 19: Conversation error
41 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: uninitializing PAM
42 >
43 > A failing conversation here looks odd to me; so, maybe this krontley
44 > user is bugged (preventing others from being listed?) or PAM itself
45 > isn't working properly at all?
46 >
47 > Check the following link which can be a possible solution to this:
48 >
49 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#systemd-logind_.26_pam_systemd
50 >
51 > Other than that I see gnome-settings-daemon failing as it exits with
52 > code 1, but with no clear warning or error; from experience with that,
53 > that could be a reason to display or usage problems. A way to debug
54 > this could be to restart it in the shell to catch more output, if any;
55 > but I'm more suspicious about PAM so try to get PAM fixed first.
56 >
57 > It could just as well be failing because you shutdown GDM; it might be
58 > more clear if you capture a log where you don't shutdown GDM, as then
59 > the last messages would be much more related to the problem at hand.
60
61 OK, it looks like I have the recomended item in the system-auth in
62 /etc/pam.d.
63
64 But c because I am not very familiar with gdm, can you give me a key
65 sequence after gdm is launched to emter my user id and password? I saw
66 no place to do this at all, just this strange list of some of my ids.
67 What I can do is to start gdm, not hit any keys and then send you the
68 log segment for that and see if it looks OK to you and then we can go
69 further.
73 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
74 How do
75 you spend it?
76
77 John Covici