From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] correct way for unmasking several packages
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:38:11
1 On 1/22/2010 6:37 AM, Arnau Bria wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm wondering which is the correct way for unmasking several
5 > depending packages when you want to unmask only want.
6 >
7 > Let me explain, I want to unmask xorg-server, and every time I try to
8 > update, it complains about one package, I unmask it, then it complains
9 > about other, and so on...
10
11 You can try autounmask, which appears to scan the dependency
12 tree and package.keyword everything it finds. Though I've
13 never used it personally, I've seen plenty of reports of
14 success.
15
16 However, this cascade of unstable dependencies is the reason
17 so many people discourage mixing arch and ~arch. Especially
18 if you're using an unstable version of something with as
19 many dependencies as xorg-server, by the time you're done
20 you'll likely have half of your system unmasked. If you're
21 willing to run an unstable Xorg anyway, you might want to
22 consider running fully ~arch.
23
24 --Mike