From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: Southbridge chip on laptop overheating
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 22:15:25
1 Hi all,
2
3 Not really Gentoo-related (well except the overheating part - lots of
4 compiling ;-) )
5
6 I have a very old laptop. It is an LG F1 laptop (circa 2005/2006 I
7 believe) about nine years old. This has a Core2 1.6GHz chip and 4GB RAM,
8 even though it only sees 3GB (that should tell you it's pretty old!)
9
10 Anyway, I noticed during my last compile-fest on my laptop (reinstalled,
11 switched to systemd for testing) that a corner of the laptop is getting
12 really hot. We are talking a fair bit of heat here, you can't keep it on
13 your lap when it warms up.
14
15 So I took it apart yesterday, figuring I should re-do the thermal paste.
16 During this process, I discovered it's the southbridge ICH chip that's
17 overheating. There's no cooler at all on this chip (the northbridge and
18 CPU have heat piping), it's a bare chip.
19
20 Now, I suspect there's not much I can do about this given it being a
21 laptop and I might have to resign myself to the fact that I'm going to
22 have to buy a laptop later this year/early next year.
23
24 I am curious though, what causes this chip to overheat, and can I do
25 something about it?
26
27 I'm using lm_sensors, which doesn't provide a temperature for this
28 particular chip. I've monitored processes and nothing really stands out.
29 I've even tried disabling plasma, no luck.
30
31 Dan