From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdev + xorg + Gnome up and running. :-)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:07:04
1 On Friday, March 16, 2012 02:54:16 PM Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 14:32, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 08:41:48AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote
4 > >
5 > > > Hmmm... are you planning to host an overlay?
6 > > >
7 > > > If so, I'll be willing to donate some of my time to provide some
8 > > > patched ebuilds for packages that can function without udev but
9 > > > lazily specify DEPEND=sys-fs/udev...
10 > >
11 > > I wouldn't call it "lazy". Before the hulabaloo about udev/initramfs,
12 > > I don't think anybody was running mdev on Gentoo. So there was no need
13 > > for mdev in the ebuilds. The only non-embedded distro to use mdev was
14 > > Alpine linux. And they also use uclibc.
15 >
16 > Ah yes, sorry. That was originally tongue-in-cheek, but I now see it
17 > may be too disparaging. My bad.
18 >
19 > > I'm not familiar with the server side of things. I can follow
20 > > instructions if supplied. I don't know if the hosting provider I'm
21 > > thinking of does rsync. I never theought to ask.
22 > >
23 > > I'll check on the dev list about the etiquitte regarding contacting
24 > > upstream. Even if a package works today with mdev, there's no guarantee
25 > > about tomorrow. It'll help if upstream knows that people are using
26 > > their packages with mdev, and they take that into account when updating
27 > > the software.
28 > >
29 > > Note that my request for updating virtual/dev-manager went through OK.
30 > > Once we test a "udev-required" package with mdev, and confirm it works,
31 > > we should post a request on the Gentoo bugzilla to update Gentoo's
32 > > ebuild.
33 >
34 > Good idea.
35 >
36 > > > ... and while at it, let's see if I can make a package containing
37 > > > scripts to ease transitioning from udev to mdev. Maybe call it,
38 > > > sys-utils/mdev-helper?
39 > >
40 > > The kernel reconfig and rebuild, and sticking "init=/sbin/linuxrc"
41 > > into the append line are user-specific. I dual-boot 2 kernels
42 > > ("production" and "experimental"), and I run lilo. Somebody with only
43 > > one kernel, and/or running GRUB will need to do things differently. So
44 > > a script won't help. This is simple enough to copy+paste from docs
45 > > to your terminal.
46 >
47 > Well... as to the kernel requirement... nothing's stopping one from
48 > emerging sys-fs/reiserfsprogs even when the kernel doesn't support
49 > reiserfs ;)
50 >
51 > The "init=/sbin/linuxrc" can be automated using script (and sed),
52 > which we can imbue with the intelligence necessary to edit LILO/GRUB
53 > conf. I do have a collection of my own scripts to make it easier to
54 > install new Gentoo systems; one of them I whup up to automatically add
55 > a new kernel into menu.lst and (optionally) modify the default kernel
56 > [1].
57 >
58 > What I have in mind for "helper scripts" would be (for example) a
59 > script to ensure that, on boot, ethernet devices will maintain their
60 > relative order. This needs to be stuck into /etc/mdev.conf (already
61 > part of stage3).
62 >
63 > (And if someone's well-versed enough in Linux, maybe he/she will
64 > convert the shellscript into a simple -- and faster -- binary with
65 > exact same functionality).
66
67 I think you are talking about a script that handles a more "dynamic" database
68 to force renames/softlinks for devices keeping names identical?
69 I haven't played with mdev yet, but isn't that already in mdev?
70 Or does mdev require it to be set manually?
71
72 Btw, the "keep same devicename" is rather annoying when having to replace the
73 network card and the network then doesn't come back up...
76 Joost