From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distrowatch and gentoo......
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:39:20
1 Hi,
2 James Ausmus wrote:
3 > On 6/30/06, Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> Daniel da Veiga wrote:
5 > <snip>
6 >> Hi,
7 >> Don't wanna say anything, but all of you could just search -dev
8 >> ML-archives. There are two alternate package-managers in development.
9 >> Some sparks about dev/user overlays,sunrise-overlay,GWN etc. etc.
10 >> Not seen such turmoil in latest 3 years (and IMHO most things are
11 >> personal). No flames intended, just info.
12 >> Rumen
13 >
14 > So, one thing that people seem to forget when they see a lot of
15 > "conflict" going on in situations like these - it's almost always
16 > (unless it gets *too* out of hand) a Good Thing. The fact that there
17 > is a large group of developers and users that are willing to go
18 > through the effort to have such discussions mean that they care *a
19 > lot* about Gentoo and Gentoo's future. The fact that these things can
20 > sometimes get a little heated encourages me even more - it means that
21 > these people are *extremely* passionate about Gentoo, and Gentoo's
22 > success! If you go through these recent "hot" discussions and
23 > generalize them, here's pretty much what the theme is *every* time:
24 >
25 Agreed.
26 > Person A: I have this great, cool, new, awesome idea that I want to
27 > implement to make Gentoo a Better Thing!
28 > Person B: OK - cool idea! However, I am concerned that by implementing
29 > that Shiny New Idea, you make areas X and Y worse!
30 > Person A & B: OK, lets see if we can fix this together.
31 >
32 > OK, so, a lot of time, people who make developers are *not* people who
33 > make good communicators, good mediators, etc. etc., so sometimes the
34 > interactions don't go down *quite* as nicely as that. ;)
35 >
36 So i hope *everybody* will learn something out of this.
37 There's *always* place for improvement ;)
38 > However, when you're reading the discussions, always keep this in
39 > mind: These people are donating their time, brain power, effort, and
40 > life. Due to the moderately high barrier to entry of becoming an
41 > actual Dev (the reading, testing, mentoring, etc.), you can be pretty
42 > damn sure that these people aren't here just to screw everyone else
43 > over, or to screw Gentoo over. So, why are they here? Because they
44 > love Gentoo, and they want to help make it even better.
45 >
46 Yes, agree 100%. My thankfulness toward *all* devs.
47 > So, basically, what I guess I'm trying to say, is that - yes,
48 > sometimes things get a little heated, and yes, sometimes developers
49 > don't communicate very well <gasp>, but, the cause behind *all* of
50 > these discussions is a passion for making Gentoo better for us - the
51 > users.
52 >
53 Maybe each one need to make a *little* sacrifice if him/her own
54 ideas/opinions so to at least give a chance to others, to at least try
55 to prove their points. The art of making a compromise.
56 IMHO not all you think/see is true or right (just part of the whole).
57 Even if thinking (at that moment) that this is *a little* wrong.
58 > -James
59 Rumen

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature