From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] no ebuild what to do?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:01:45
1 > I'd like to install dekagen but there are no ebuilds
2 > for it. I suppose I could just unpack it and follow
3 > the INSTALL doc but is that the appropriate gentoo
4 > way?
5
6 It's the general unix way of doing things, so sure it fits into gentoo also.
7 Ebuilds are not really necessary unless you believe a lot of other folks
8 will be using the same package.
9
10 That said, having written some ebuilds lately, I can tell you for the most
11 part the process is pretty easy. Start with an ebuild for a package that is
12 similar to what you're going to install, make the various changes for the
13 package (the gentoo doc for the ebuilds is your best friend here), and drop
14 it into your overlay. If you want to release it, it goes easily into
15 bugs.gentoo.org.
16
17 If you don't want to do the ebuild yourself, and you believe at some point
18 in the future someone else might get one into portage, you can always use
19 the ./configure script to install to /usr/local - it would still be
20 available yet allows for future emerging should it get added.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list