From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 23:57:03
1 On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 03:36:41 +0500
2 Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:13:38 -0300
5 > Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > If you had upgraded because of a needed feature, I assume you would
8 > > have read about the release, and thus would know about Tuz.
9 > > So you upgraded to a ~arch kernel without any need.
10 > > Why?
11 >
12 > The question is probably not adressed to me, but...
13 >
14 > It's still a way to check out these new features hands-on :)
15 It's a kernel.
16 >
17 > And while it's ~arch on gentoo, it's actually marked 'stable' by
18 > developers, and, since gentoo ebuild does pretty much nothing but
19 > unpacking it, it should be pretty much as stable as any non-~arch
20 > package.
23 Even if it already released, it has a higher chance of bugs than a
24 more established kernel.
25
26 Waiting for the package to become stable on Gentoo is not just about
27 ebuild bugs; it is also about waiting for enough users in general to
28 test the upstream package, and Gentoo users in particular to test the
29 package within Gentoo.
30
31 And I don't know about the usual quality of brand new Linux
32 releases, but in general, I believe upstream developers want to
33 release early (to get testers and updated contributions), while
34 a distribution may wait until the software is ready and tested.
35
36 Of course, if you want to actively help, that is a reason to test
37 the latest software... but I am afraid that a kernel bug could lead
38 to unpredictable behavior, data loss and other problems I can't
39 tolerate. Also, I think a kernel has a higher chance of hidden
40 bugs (bugs that don't stand in your face).
41
42 I think that if you want to contribute as a tester it is easier
43 to test a beta version of mplayer or Firefox (backup your bookmarks!),
44 for example, where bugs are more visible and likely less harmful.
45
46 Cheers,
47 Jorge
50 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free. --Linus Torvalds