From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FYI: Daily / weekly / monthly cron jobs run twice on DST - non-DST transition
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 18:06:14
1 On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Kai Peter <kp@×××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > *I* recommend fcron, it is a bit under estimated. Beside its progressive
4 > design and w/o consulting the man page now again - AFAIR it can handle
5 > DST issues like above through options in fcrontab. But with my concept I
6 > don't need/use it. Be aware that some options could show an unexpected
7 > behavior too - nothing is perfect. Anyhow, by using fcron it is possible
8 > to eliminate the whole cronbase ebuild - it is part of the 20 percent
9 > (round about) which are faulty in Gentoo.
12 If some people want to maintain Gentoo-specific solutions I certainly
13 won't tell them that they can't, but 99% of the time when there is an
14 upstream tool that does something out of the box, and a
15 Gentoo-specific stack of shell scripts, the upstream tool is going to
16 do a better job.
17
18 That doesn't mean that the simpler tool isn't sometimes the better
19 solution. I have hosts that use the systemd-timesyncd implementation,
20 and I have hosts that run ntpd. There is a reason for each to exist.
21 The nice thing about Gentoo is that you can use whatever you prefer,
22 but if you care that much about what happens on the DST change or on
23 the 31st day of the month, you're probably better off starting from a
24 more full-featured cron implementation than trying to re-create one.
27 Rich