From: pat <pat@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] selecting boot(active?) partition
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:15:16
1 On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 23:17:50 +0100, Mick wrote
2 > On Wednesday 04 July 2007 08:51, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > Hello pat,
4 > >
5 > > > Problem is that when there're any non dos/windows partitions the boot
6 > > > from recovery partition failed. So, I need to set recovery partition
7 > > > bootable and remove all other partitions including /boot with GRUB
8 > > > configuration - and when the /boot is removed then there's not possible
9 > > > to use GRUB, because of the grub.conf, and that's why I need to set
10 > > > recovery partition bootable without GRUB.
11 > >
12 > > Set the partition to be bootable in cfdisk, before removing the Linux
13 > > partitions.
14 >
15 > fdisk, cfdisk, etc. will all set the bootable flag. The question is
16 > why do you need to remove a)grub, b)the /boot partition? Is your
17 > Windows recovery partition script expecting Windows to be the first
18 > partition on the disk and you have moved it since installation?
19 >
20 > Perhaps next time you'll use partimage with Gentoo to create a back
21 > up image of your Windows partition and so you will be able to
22 > restore it within 40 minutes or so, depending on the speed of your machine.
23
24 Well, the recovery process requires whole disk space and "clear" MBR. Yes,
25 right now I've 'dd'ed fresh windows installation and next reinstall should be
26 really fast - expect 15 minutes instead of the whole day ;-)
27
28 Some information what I've used to remove GRUB from MBR. In windows (don't
29 beat me) there are tools 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' and Ive used them.
30
31 Probably last question: When I've tried to set the recovery partition 'active'
32 in fdisk, the system still boots from the GRUB and not from the 'active'
33 partition ... I think I've did it wrong, did I?
34
35 Thanks to all for help.
36
37 Pat