From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user <Gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Replace root with aufs-united sda & squashfs
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 04:03:15
1 As part of Project:Protogenoi [1], I am planning to replace root with
2 a united filesystem using aufs. The layers will be:
3
4 Top: /dev/xvda3 (Xen/XenServer Virtual Disk device)
5 Bottom: /.root.sqfs
6
7 The aim would be to generate the smallest .xva (XenServer Virtual
8 Appliance) possible. To achieve this, the 'physical root' at /dev/sda3
9 will be emptied as empty as possible, except for /etc and /dev.
10
11 AFAIK, there are files that *must* still exist for this strategy to
12 succeed. However, this post from f.g.o [2] said that those files
13 aren't necessary. So, I should do the following sequence in /etc/fstab
14 :
15
16 1. Mount /dev/xvda3 as /
17 2. Mount /.root.sqfs as /
18 3. Mount aufs, uniting /dev/xvda3 and /.root.sqfs as /
19 4. Mount everything else
20
21 Am I getting this right?
22