From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Does -Wl,--hash-style=gnu need a full world rebuild?
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:24:04
1 Hi. According to discussion on gentoo-dev
2 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_50182554f851bedb82f8a349fbc90352.xml
3 it seems the only reasons for -Wl,--hash-style=gnu not being default (yet)
4 are these headaches for the developers:
5 1) Apparently it does not work on mips
6 2) Apparently it needs >=glibc-2.5 and >=binutils-2.17.50.0.2
7
8 My PC is x86 and my toolchain is obviously more recent than
9 these old verions, so apparently the flag is completely safe.
10
11 I've enabled it in /etc/make.conf and I like the slight reduction
12 in binary size.
13
14 My main question is:
15 Can I just compile new packages with this flag, or do I need to
16 recompile the whole world? In other words, is there any incompatibility
17 between binaries linked with this flag and binaries linked with the default
18 hash-style (which in Gentoo is --hash-style=both, AFAIK)?
19
20 Regards,
21 Jorge Morais