From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disk partition query
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 09:05:25
1 Stuart Howard:
2 > I went brave and tried Alans method, I wanted a tidy disk :)
3 >
4 > Not to worry but for me [dont know my error ] it did not work and
5 > killed my XP install, so reverted back to method A essentially and
6 > reinstalled wingaming XP so all is fine now.
7 > I shall consider it a lesson to remember to save! up on primary
8 > partitions next time. Thanks all for trying.
11 Just for the future:
12
13 When changing the partition table of a disk that includes Windows the most
14 common problem ist that the NT bootloader (ntldr) doesn't find Windows any
15 longer (usually it tells you that it can't find hal.dll).
16 At this moment Windows is not brocken! You just have to edit your boot.ini.
17 Play around with it. Since ntldr can't see your Linux partitions properly the
18 logical setting might not be the correct one.
19
20 My advice: Keep these files on a floppy so you can change them easily without
21 writing to ntfs:
22 ntldr
23 boot.ini
24 ntdetect.com