From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I get larger fonts in X ?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:12:50
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 01:32:06PM -0300, Fernando Canizo wrote
2
3 > Seems you have found your solution to this problem, but i want to
4 > add this, maybe unrelated to your problem, but yet usefull:
5 >
6 > In your original solution you have two X servers running at different
7 > resolutions, you don't need to start two servers for this, just use
8 > the command 'xrandr'
9 >
10 > # to see available modes
11 > xrandr -q
12 >
13 > # to change to a desired mode
14 > xrandr -s number_in_first_column_of_previous_command
15 >
16 > 'xrandr' is part of the x11-base/xorg-x11 package.
17
18 I'm aware of xrandr; unfortunately, applications don't seem to be.
19 xrandr is great for internet-TV, when I want to temporarily resize the
20 screen, because resizing the screen doesn't cost anything in cpu cycles.
21 Software scaling of video is a cpu hog. But Firefox won't automatically
22 resize to the new resolution. fbpanel menubar disappears off the bottom
23 when I go to a smaller screen, etc, etc.
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
27 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list