From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][SOLVED] Computer does not boot
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 19:53:35
1 On 01/31/15 19:54, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 >Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> [15-01-31 19:32]:
3 >> On 01/31/15 11:59, Dale wrote:
4 >> >Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 >> >>Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> [15-01-31 18:12]:
6 >> >>>After recent upgrade my computer doesn't want to boot. I did not do
7 >> >>>anything with grub or kernel.
8 >> >>>I get a bios flash and next is message:
9 >> >>>
11 >> >>>GRUB loading stage2
12 >> >>>
13 >> >>>and computer goes back reboot cycle, flash bios and the same massage
14 >> >>>is
15 >> >>>displayed.
16 >> >>>What went wrong during update?
17 >> >>>
18 >> >>>--
19 >> >>>Joseph
20 >> >>>
21 >> >>Hi Joseph,
22 >> >>
23 >> >>may be only a accidental coincidence...
24 >> >>One thing I can think of is an empty bios coin cell.
25 >>
26 >> What is an empty BIOS coin cell?
29 >> >>
30 >> >>If this is not the cause, check whether the stage2 grub
31 >> >>got deleted.
32 >>
33 >> How do I check if stage2 grub was deleted?
34 >> Thanks for your help
35 >> >
36 >> >OP, if it were me, I'd chroot in, re-emerge grub, reinstall grub to
37 >> >the
38 >> >drive and then try to reboot. It doesn't seem to me that it is the OS
39 >> >itself or the kernel since it doesn't seem to get that far either.
40 >> >It's
41 >> >either a BIOS or a grub issue. I'm thinking along the same lines of
42 >> >Meino myself. Since chrooting in is a bit of a pain, I'd cover the
43 >> >whole field while in it.
44 >> >
45 >> >Don't forget, you can use the -K option to install from binaries if
46 >> >you
47 >> >save them. That may save a little bit of time.
48 >> >
49 >> >Hope that helps.
50 >>
51 >> I boot strap from a CD and /boot and grup.conf looks normal the way I
52 >> install it.
53 >>
54 >> ...
55 >> title Gentoo Current Kernel
56 >> root (hd0,0)
57 >> kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/sda3 vga=normal
58 >>
59 >> --
60 >> Joseph
63 >Hi,
64 >
65 >(please read this completly before doing anything)
66 >
67 >on the motherboard of your PC there is a Real Time Clock (RTC), which
68 >keeps time and date correct while your PC is turned off. This RTC
69 >needs power...only a little bit but more then nothing. For that there
70 >is a battery holder (oh damn, I fear, this term is "german English...
71 >;) on the motherboard, which can easily be identified, because it
72 >is about of the size of two Euro coin and an silvery "coin" is
73 >in there (visible from the outside). The similarity of the shape
74 >of a coin and and a coin cell gave the latter its name.
75 >
76 >BUT!
77 >Dont pull that out before you got a new one!
78 >Most often these cells are lithium batteries, which name starts
79 >with CR...... . On my motherboard there is a CR2032. But this
80 >should be mentioned in the manual of your mitherboard (and if that
81 >get lost you will find a pdf of that on the net somewhere).
82 >
83 >If you got a new cell, shutdown the computer, remove the mains plug
84 >from the back and switch the PC on again (no joke). This will empty
85 >any capacitor in the mains adapter and on the board.
86 >
87 >Touch the metal case of the PC (or if it is plastic touch the outer
88 >shell of an USB jack (**NOT** the inside), where you can easily reach
89 >it (in most cases on the back of the PC instead of the front).
90 >This will discharge any static electricity. Otherwise grub and the
91 >coin cell become a minor problem... ;)
92 >
93 >Check the manual how to remove the BIOS coin cell. Do it carefully but
94 >do it not excessive slow.
95 >Insert the new battery (remove it from the package before you remove
96 >the old cell) as described in the manual.
97 >
98 >If you are quick enough chance are given that all settings of the BIOS
99 >will survive the short no-power situation.
100 >
101 >Boot the PC again. If you didnt configure ntp for your PC and the
102 >time/date of the PC didn't survive the short power fail of the coin cell swap,
103 >set the date by hand, emerge net-misc/ntp, configure it and run it by
104 >hand to set time/date correctly.
105 >
106 >If the PC does not boot: Install grub as Dale mentioned. A missing
107 >stage2 bootloader may be the reason, why grub hangs while looking for
108 >it. If the problem went away after installing grub (and with it a new
109 >stage2 bootlaoder) the missing stage2 bootloader is the first
110 >candidate for being the reason of the problem.
111 >
112 >Good luck!
113 >Best regards,
114 >Meino
115
116 SOLVED.
117
118 I bootstrap from Gentoo CD and run "grub-install" in change-root.
119 It fixed the problem, but it make me wonder why grub flipped on me. I run upgrade on three other boxes and everything went smooth.
120 When I run upgrade on my main working server something happen and I can not figure it out.
123 Joseph