From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext3 partition dissapeared :(
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:53:16
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:17:58 +0100
4 jcd <jcd@××××××.cz> wrote:
5
6 > > > So, I copied data from 160GB partition on DiskA to
7 > > > temporary space on DiskB, then I deleted remaining NTFS partition on
8 > > > DiskA and created one 200GB ext3 partition (I think so. In cfdsik I
9 > > > chose partition type '83 Linux') and then formatted it 'mke2fs
10 > > > -j /dev/sdb1'. Then I copied (moved :( ) all the data back to DiskA
11 > > > and everuthing was fine.
12
13 Did you reboot between changing the partition layout and creating that
14 new partition (and moving data)? Otherwise the kernel wouldn't be aware
15 of the new partition layout. Well, if everything you wrote is
16 correct, that data should have ended up on that former Windows
17 partition and that partition should now be an ext3 one. But if you just
18 didn't care and mounted the old linux partition (sdb2 at that point in
19 time before the new partition layout), copied data and you _then_
20 rebooted -- then you would have written your data to a partition that
21 was only a reminiscence in the kernel's structures and not
22 corresponding to what cfdisk wrote to the HD. That would be an
23 explanation why the next boot failed.
24
25 > When I do "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/zaloha" at /mnt/zaloha I see that old
26 > Windows NTFS partition that I already deleted (There are "Program
27 > Files", "WINDOWS", ...). I don't understand why (somewhere I read that
28 > ext3 start writing at the middle of the disk space to prevent
29 > defragmentation).
30
31 Deleting the partition is something that only affects the boot sector.
32 Ext3 should in fact have overwritten this with it's first superblock.
33 So the mkext2fs you issued did definitively hit the wrong partition.
34
35 So my suggestion is: try "gpart -w ext2,1.5 /dev/sdb" to find your
36 partition (even better: write back the backup you've made from the old
37 partition table. Errrm...)
38
39 -hwh
40 --