From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: automated code validation
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 19:16:28
1 Sam Bishop <sam <at> cygnus.email> writes:
4 > In my mind. Gentoo has the kind of hook you speak of. We just havent
5 > refined it or done a good job showing it off to the world.
6 > The ebuild format is one of the most powerful packaging standards.
7
8 > An automatic test battery for Gentoo could possibly catapult Prefix
9 > and similar sub projects forward to much greater adoption, and help
10 > Gentoo reap secondary benefits as a result.
11
12 > Now all the replying is done, here's the big question, where to organise
13 > the bigger picture things? This mailing list? IRC? A new mailing list?
14 > I want to get involved in this because I'm going to be building some
15 > parts of this already. Why wouldn't I want to give back and help make
16 > Gentoo better.
17
18 Organization is great, but, practical tools are the first step,imho. In
19 order to make this not only useful for Gentoo, but other coders, We need a
20 liveUSB, where folks can download "Gentoo Fever" onto a usb stick and stick
21 into their current hardware and boot up a killer code development system.
22 That way they can work on these aforementioned codes right on a gentoo
23 system and submit code snippets (patches) easily to the appropriate
24 github. They can use epatch_user to test their codes on a given ebuild,
25 very simply or use github tools. They'll need tools so their project of
26 interest can be "ebuildified" with a set of ebuilds, and then tested with
27 codes like "etest".
28
29 What we need is a dev or a stong_user who is very knowledgeable of code
30 development tools, to use build upon the livedUSB work of LikeWahoa and put
31 together a set of tools, realizing that non-gentoo developers are the
32 target. Surely the accomplished user/coders and gentoo devs all have their
33 customizations set; so there would be no reason why we cannot have different
34 killer versions (kde, lxqt, gnome etc) centric on what given dev likes. And
35 so these liveusb images can be use to bootstrap gentoo users into a pahtway
36 of becoming gentoo devs too.
39 So just put the tools you like and know about and projects on a lived-USB
40 and post back to this list where to download and test it. I for one will
41 download and boot up hardware with your usb stick (usb-3 with a high
42 read/write bandwidth is nice) and look at Gentoo from your eyes.
45 Surely you are capable/willing to do this Sam ?
46
47 Then another and a another and we will have a family of "gentoo-fever" live
48 media. Then the discussion on a wider basis and targeting the GSoC kids
49 to join us next spring can get moving. From there, Gentoo-Fever spreads
50 back to the universities and eventually to those Mac/Winblows professors
51 that are tenured...... and so on and so forth.
52
53 If gentoo "celebrates" the systemd vs openrc divide, surely we'll gain
54 from those disgruntled ranks. As an old Deb & Ian fan, I'd be very, very
55 proud of Gentoo saving those openrc_centric deb fans......
56
57 "Carpe Diem!" (where's that liveUSB?)
58
59 The saddest thing is this. Surely we all know individual devs at Gentoo
60 that can individually build a "Gentoo Fever" liveusb image, in just a few
61 hours. The fact that there is little interest among those folks with that
62 skill level, I personally find to be a devastating statement about Gentoo
63 Apathy. They can do (and do) amazing things with gentoo, but so little
64 efforts is expended in a helping hand upward.
65
66 If I'm wrong about this, then show me a gentoo-fever liveusb from several
67 different groups at gentoo, please?
70 hth,
71 James