From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] GPRS connection through usb
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:16:32
1 Hi there,
2 i've recently acquired a pda (htc tytn) and a good data plan. Right
3 now, i can access the internet from my computer by setting up the
4 phone as a wifi ad-hoc station, but this takes so much battery, it's
5 not the optimal setup.
6
7 What i would need is to use the usb cable to connect to the cell
8 modem. But I'm a bit lost as to what to do... the documents i found
9 on this don't seem to talk about the same things (there seems to be
10 many ways of doing this...?) and many are out of date...
11
12 I was wondering if any of you could give me a general idea of what i
13 need (specially if you could clarify whats the best vocabulary to use
14 in google) or confirm what I found so far...
15
16 From what i understand, I believe i will need some kind of kernel
17 module (device driver) which will turn the usb device into a
18 networking interface. Then I think i would setup some kind of
19 connection normally (is it PPP? or something else?). The cellphone
20 would also need to be setup to share its data connection to usb (but
21 this seems quite simple... the linux part is the problem).
22
23 Thanks for help and pointers!
24 Simon