From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: elog default lifespan
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 05:19:29
1 On 20/11/2016 02:21, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> On Saturday 19 Nov 2016 08:54:53 Harry Putnam wrote:
5 >>> After looking thru the portage man pages, the make.conf.example in
6 >>> /usr/share/portage/config, and the `Portage log wiki' it still is not
7 >>> clear to me how long elogs are kept if you use the `save' flag in
8 >>> make.conf or not.
9 >>>
10 >>> I did see something about '7 days' but it was not clear if that is the
11 >>> default and `save' over-rides it or what. Or if there is another flag
12 >>> that controls there duration...
13 >>>
14 >>> Can anyone throw light on that?
15 >>
16 >> If you have logrotate then its configuration and associated cron jobs will take
17 >> care of that.
18 >
19 > What I want to know is if the elog program will do something on its
20 > own... I'm wanting to hang on to the logs a good while... I saw
21 > something in my readings about the elog system about 7 days... was not
22 > clear if that is a defalult or what.
23 >
24 > So my fear was losing them even if I am logrotate at them in some
25 > capacity. So I'm asking about inside the elog program... what happens
26 > to the logs and when.
31 elog only appends to the log files. If you want rotation etc, use logrotate
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com