From: joost@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: PORTDIR default - changing PORTDIR variable - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 05:49:18
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 01/10/2013 20:48, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:15:49 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I'm interested in what the DEFAULTS are, ie, for a new/from scratch
6 >>> installation.
7 >>
8 >> Why? If ever there was a distro for people that didn't want to use
9 >> defaults, Gentoo is it.
10 >>
11 >>> Someone had to decide the defaults - so, what are they? Anyone?
12 >>
13 >> I installed a VM a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure portage was still
14 >> in /usr. It's easy enough to tell, unpack a stage 3 and see where the
15 >> portage directory lives, but the handbook still refers to
16 >/usr/portage.
20 >Please say it isn't so, otherwise I'm going to look like a right royal
21 >chump.
22 >
23 >Or maybe I just change it all on automatic these days and forget it do
24 >it. But it was definitely discussed on -dev at length. i could be wrong
25 >about the end result <bashful>
29 >--
30 >Alan McKinnon
31 >alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
32
33 You always grab the latest stage3?
34 I generally make a copy of an exiating up-to-date system and use that.
35
36 That works best as they all use NFS and set of links for portage.
39 Joost
40 --
41 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.