From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] suggest SSD partitioning
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:49:48
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2021-12-10, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 09/12/2021 21:27, pat@××××××××.org wrote:
4 >>> I'm planning small /boot partition, / partition and /data (including
5 >>> home) partition.
6 >> I just use one partition. What's the point of having multiple ones if
7 >> they're all on the same storage device?
8 > I find it easier to re-install if home and data directories are on a
9 > different filesystem than the system stuff.
10 >
11 > --
12 > Grant
18 Plus if you use LVM or some other similar software, you can expand as
19 needed.  I have /boot and / on regular file systems for simple booting.
20 I have /usr and /var on their own partition.  Obviously /home is on it's
21 own and on multiple hard drives at that.  Since I did my install on this
22 rig, I've had to expand /usr at least twice, maybe three times.  I've
23 also had to expand /var as well.  If one doesn't use LVM or similar,
24 then you have to redo pretty much everything or reinstall.  I've done
25 that in the past and I learned to use LVM.  One day, I may switch to
26 BTFS, sp?, or similar.  That said, LVM works fine for me at the moment.
27
28 As I mentioned in a previous post, I've had a log file go crazy and fill
29 up /var.  My system continued to run just fine.  However, if it was on
30 the same file system as / is on, that could have created problems.
31 Could even cause a crash and may not even reboot normally either.  Just
32 depends on what must store things there I guess.
33
34 Just thoughts.  Each has to do things to suit their situation.
35
36 Dale
37