From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: escape from i3lock
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 22:48:46
1 On 2019-07-10 20:44, François-Xavier CARTON wrote:
2
3 > On 7/10/19 7:03 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 > > Here is my next "low information" question, haha.
5 > >
6 > > I use i3lock which is like Xscreensaver but much much simpler; it plays
7 > > no movies or games, just blanks the screen with a configured color or
8 > > image. To unlock it you have to type your password.
9 > >
10 > > It bothers me that even when i3lock has locked the X session, I can
11 > > still switch to other Linux virtual consoles with Alt-Control-F<n> ,
12 > > without typing the password. It so happens that on one of the other
13 > > virtual consoles there is often an interactive root shell :-P
14 > >
15 > > So, is it possible to prevent virtual console switching while the X
16 > > screen is locked, but still allow it at other times? Looks like
17 > > something the locker program would have to do, not the X server; but
18 > > again I don't know much about this stuff.
21 > Not a direct answer to your question, but as a workaround you can use
22 > tmux sessions, and simply detach them and logout when you lock your
23 > computer.
24
25 I could also just log out directly :-) It's not like I have some
26 context in the shell that I want to keep. It is just there when I want
27 to be root.
28
29 > Also, if this is just a shell to start the X server, you can launch it
30 > as "startx & bg; disown" and then logout.
31
32 No, it's my way to run things as root, in general. I distrust su, sudo
33 and friends.
36 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
37 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
38 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
39 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.