From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] rkhunter reports xorddos component
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 12:28:25
1 I noticed this beauty popping up a day ago:
2
3 Rootkit checks...
4 Rootkits checked : 498
5 Possible rootkits: 1
6 Rootkit names : xorddos component
7
8 Fair enough the log reported a suspect file:
9
10 ====================================
11 Checking for file '/var/run/sftp.pid' [ Not found ]
12 Checking for file '/var/run/udev.pid' [ Warning ] <==This one
13 Checking for file '/var/run/mount.pid' [ Not found ]
14 [snip ...]
15
16 Warning: Checking for possible rootkit files and directories [ Warning ]
17 Found file '/var/run/udev.pid'. Possible rootkit: xorddos component
18
19 ===================================================================
20
21 I think it is a false positive, because none of the files mentioned in the
22 interwebs[1] are seen lurking in my system, but I thought it wiser to check
23 further.
24
25 [1] http://hackermedicine.com/linux-ddos-trojan-hiding-itself-with-an-embedded-rootkit/
28 The rkhunter report of this xorddos component seems to have arrived with:
29
30 sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-33
31
32 or
33
34 sys-apps/dbus-1.12.12-r1
37 Could it be these versions are now launching /run/udev.pid? Is a file /run/
38 udev.pid present in your system?
39
40 In any case, the file merely contains the PID number of /lib/systemd/systemd-
41 udevd, rather than an ELF binary and /etc/init.d/ does not contain anything
42 suspicious. However, with armies generating variants of every conceivable
43 malware I don't know if it pays to be a bit paranoid about this.
46 Regards,
47 Mick