From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:16:17
1 On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:34:56AM -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >
4 >> >>> I guess you mean https://panopticlick.eff.org/
5 >> >>
6 >> >> My results from work:
7 >> >>
8 >> >> Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 1,939,102 tested so far.
9 >> >>
10 >> >> Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that
11 >> >> conveys at least 20.89 bits of identifying information.
12 >> >>
13 >> >
14 >> >
15 >> > Funny, I get exactly the same thing except add one to the large number.
16 >> >  I guess you tested before I did.  How does one avoid this but still
17 >> > have sites work?
18 >>
19 >> Well, I just went to the same site using a Chrome 'incognito' browser,
20 >> and got this:
21 >>
22 >>    Within our dataset of several million visitors, only one in 969,560
23 >> browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.
24 >>
25 >>    Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that
26 >> conveys 19.89 bits of identifying information.
27 >
28 > I get almost the same numbers with just using NoScript and Flashblock. (And
29 > the above result when I allow the Java applet and JavaScript).
30 >
31 > This backs me up in using noscript and flashblock. Sometimes I doubt myself
32 > when I get asked once more why I would use NoScript in times when most of the
33 > web relies on JS. I then say that privacy and comfort is more important to me
34 > than having to allow JS on a site from time to time. (Even though some sites
35 > obviously don't work without it, such as video portals, most of them still do,
36 > albeit some gt a borked layout from it).
37
38 FWIW, I'm not using NoScript or Flashblock, only an Adblock. And
39 Chrome blocked the Java applet both in the normal and incognito modes.
43 :wq