From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on encrypting my /home
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 01:37:42
1 On 8/12/06, John J. Foster <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Do you encrypt your home directory?
3
4 I encrypt everything except /boot.
5
6 > What apps and/or combination of apps do you use, and why?
7
8 dm-crypt with cryptsetup using the LUKS format.
9
10 > Which ciphers do you prefer? Why?
11
12 aes-cbc-essiv:sha256, 128bit, because it is fast.
13
14 > Is it well supported?
15
16 In the kernel, about as well supported as you can get.
17
18 > What apps and/or files don't play well with encrytion?
19
20 The only real impact this has is that backups use a lot more CPU time,
21 since I have to decrypt the data from one drive, compress it, and then
22 re-encrypt it to write to another drive. Then again, multi-core
23 processors are cheap!
24
25 -Richard
26 --