From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No sound. Please, help!
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:57:47
1 Hello,
2
3 On Sat, 17 Oct 2020, gevisz wrote:
4 [.. reordering ..]
5 >And finally: installed on the same computer legacy operating system
6 >never had any sound problems.
7
8 Ah, oh, so the HW works and you got the speaker connector in the
9 hole. That's good![1] ;)
10
11 >At different times during the last one and a half years, I tried to
12 >make sound work on my new Gentoo install on a computer with Gigabyte
13 >GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard and MSI ATI Radeon R4770 graphic card.
14
15 Ok, that board should be rather closeish to mine (GA-MA770TA-UD3.
16 Might use a different soundchip though, but those should work
17 automatically.
18
19 [..]
20 >lspci | grep "Audio"
21 >00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00
22 >Azalia (Intel HDA)
23 >01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710/730
24 >HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]
25
26 Simliar here, but it'd be interesting, what actual device is that
27 onboard sound, here it's:
28
29 $ /sbin/lspci -nn | grep Audio
30 00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]
31 [plus the HDMI of the video card]
32
33 According to the MoBo manual, it's a Realtek ALC888 codec.
34
35 >My current kernel configuration is exactly the same as in the
36 >gentoo-kernel-5.4.64 package as I have not changed anything there.
37
38 This works here:
39
40 CONFIG_SND=y
41 CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
42 CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
43 CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m
44 CONFIG_SND_DRIVERS=y
45 CONFIG_SND_PCI=y
46
47 CONFIG_SND_HDA=m
48 CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=m
49 CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP=y
50 CONFIG_SND_HDA_RECONFIG=y
51 CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=m
52 CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC=m
53 CONFIG_SND_HDA_CORE=m
54 CONFIG_SND_SPI=y
55
56 Not sure if CONFIG_SND_SPI and CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC are needed, but
57 the other ones seem crucial.
58
59 Oh, the above is for a 4.14 kernel, but has been the same for a looong
60 time now.
61
62 HTH,
63 -dnh
64
65 [1] happend to me a few days ago when I, after a long time again, un-
66 and then wrongly replugged the speaker on my MoBo ;)
69 WoKo ist so etwas, wie eine seltsame Schleife. Wenn zwei von ihnen zusammen-
70 kommen, erklären sie sich gegenseitig für nichtexistent und löschen sich auf
71 diese Weise aus. Zum Schluß wird einer übrigbleiben. Und den können wir dann
72 ganz leicht am nächsten Baum aufknüpfen... [Daniel Reutter in dag°]