From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Finalizing my backup system
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 17:41:19
1 >> I'm using backupninja to backup data from my laptop, desktop, and
2 >> remote server onto a remote desktop system.  backupninja is very
3 >> simple and is really just an interface to a few other programs
4 >> including rdiff-backup.  I'm not worried about a good restore method
5 >> for now, I want to focus on keeping it simple and protecting my data.
6 >> This is the first time I've set up a real backup system and I'd love
7 >> to get some advice from you guys.  I've got a few questions.
8 >>
9 >> 1. This is the first time I've used passwordless SSH keys.  root on
10 >> each system being backed up logs into the remote desktop as a normal
11 >> user to store the backups.  Is this pretty safe?  I suppose if root is
12 >> compromised on any of the three systems being backed up (via physical
13 >> access or otherwise), the remote desktop will also be compromised as a
14 >> normal user.  Maybe that normal user should be extraordinarily
15 >> unprivileged?
16 >
17 > You can limit SSH access to only certain commands. On the remote desktop
18 > machine, you probably had to add an entry to the SSH authorized_keys
19 > file. You can prefix that line with the command that the user is allowed
20 > to run. For example (I use rdiff-backup too):
21 >
22 >  command="/usr/bin/rdiff-backup --server",no-pty,no-port-forwarding
23 >  ssh-rsa <big_ugly_key>
24
25 I tried both that and simplified versions of it but it seems to
26 prevent the login from working. It hangs on the following command,
27 which works if I don't add the above:
28
29 ssh -o PasswordAuthentication=no 1.2.3.4 -l user 'echo -n 1'
30
31 Should it be working? I noticed I have ssh-dss instead of your ssh-rsa.
32
33 - Grant