From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --depclean wants to remove required packages
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:32:55
1 On 2/26/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 25 February 2007, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > I've been cleaning up a machine trying to fix a problem with
5 > > Evolution crashing. I'm down to the point where all the dependencies
6 > > (emerge -DuN and revdep-rebuild) are clean but when I run emerge
7 > > --depclean wants remove packages that would break dependencies.
8 >
9 > Hi Mark,
10 >
11 > OK, so I read this thread and you and Bo both seem to have gotten way
12 > off track...
13
14 No, not really, at least for me. I've got multiple problems here:
15
16 1) Evolution crashes
17
18 2) emerge --depclean wants to remove things that seem to be
19 dependencies for installed programs
20
21 3) While building things to get up to date I get all these libtool
22 warning messages which I started to think might be somehow the root
23 cause of #1 or #2 above.
24
25 I'd like to fix all three and to Bo's credit he's doing everything he
26 can to help a poor old user type like me.
29 > You have a bunch of packages that --depclean wants to remove. It looks
30 > like they should not be removed. This screams two questions at me:
31 >
32 > 1. Did you emerge -avC gnome?
33
34 No. The machine is 4 years old. It ran fluxbox for about a year and
35 then has run Gnome ever since. Evolution has been used in both
36 environments and worked perfectly until moving from Gnome-2.14 to 2.16
37 a week or so ago. The gcc-4.1 upgrade was done at Christmas and
38 Gnome-2.14 and Evolution-2.4 worked fine after that upgrade but not
39 now. I'm currently looking for the root cause if these crashes.
40
41 Not being a developer the first thing I thought to do was look to see
42 if all the dependencies were clean so basically I did:
43
44 eix-sync
45 emerge -pvDuN world
46 revdep-rebuild
47
48 until everything looked good. I then look a look at emerge --depclean
49 and saw that there were about 60 packages that it wanted to remove. I
50 worked my way through each and every one doing an equery depends,
51 removing it if there were no dependencies, and then every so often
52 running revdep-rebuild again. However what I started finding as I got
53 to the end of the process was that out of the 60 packages ot be
54 removed 15 showed that something at the application level - Gnome,
55 Evolution, spamassasin, etc., that needed something that --depclean
56 wanted to remove.
57
58 For kicked I did an emerge -C on one package and then immediately did
59 a revdep-rebuild. The system emerged what I just removed. That's when
60 I contacted the list.
63 > 2. If you never had gnome installed but did have evo installed, then
64 > removed evo, everything looks proper.
65 >
66 > So, let --depclean do it's thing. Then emerge -uND world and run
67 > revder-rebuild to fix anything that remains.
68
69 Based on my response above should I be doing this? From the info I
70 posted earlier if I emerge -C jasper, as --depclean wants to do, then
71 it seems it will just be emerged again at emerge -DuN world.
72
73 I'm happy to do it if it's the right thing to do. I'm just not
74 understanding why it should fix things.
77 Thanks much,
78 Mark
81 > alan
84 > --
85 > Optimists say the glass is half full,
86 > Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
87 > Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
88 >
89 > Alan McKinnon
90 > alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
91 > +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
92 > --
93 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
97 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list